2016 Warner House Association Board of Volunteer Governors

 

Executive Committee
Governors, continued Honorary Governors
Sandra Rux, Chair &
Barbara Engelbach Eve Barrett
Collections & Curatorial Co-Chair
David "Lou" Ferland Richard Candee
Carol Seely, Vice-Chair
Caroline Fesquet Lawrence Kent
Erica Inglis-Macduff, Treasurer & Judy Groppa Joyce Volk
Finance Chair
Philip Kendrick  
Sandy Phelps, Secretary Richard Nylander  
Deborah Richards & Martha Pinello  
Ronan Donohoe, Past Co-Chairs Tara Vose Raiselis  
  Louise Richardson  
Governors Carolyn Roy, Collections & Curatorial Co-Chair  
Hollis Brodrick James Smith, Marketing & Programs Chair  
Lorn Buxton
Clinton Springer  
Pat Caron Kerry Vautrot, Buildings & Grounds Chair  
Jane Clarke Melissa Walker
Robert Cook    
Russell Cox    
Mary Crane    

2014 Warner House Board of Volunteer Governors

 

Executive Committee
Tom Hindle  
Sandra Rux, Chair Philip Kendrick Honorary Governors
Peter Michaud, Vice-Chair & Anne Nelson Eve Barrett
Chair, Governance Committee Richard Nylander Richard Candee
Lorn Buxton, Treasurer &
Martha Pinello Mrs. W.F. Harrington
Chair, Finance Committee Louise Richardon Lawrence Kent
Elizabeth Farish, Secretary Carolyn Roy, Chair Joyce Volk
Deborah Richards & Collections/Curatorial Committee  
Ronan Donohoe, Past Co-Chairs Monica Reuss  
  Edward "Ned" Robinson Ad Hoc Board Members
Hollis Broderick Carolyn Seely Doug Nelson
Jane Clarke James Smith, Chair William Owens
Bob Cook Marketing/Programs Committee  
Russell Cox Clinton Springer  
Mary Crane Kerry Vautrot, Chair
Barbara Engelbach Buildings/Grounds Committee  
David "Lou" Ferland Tara Vose Raiselis  
Marsha Francis    

Edith Greenough Wendell (1859 - 1938) was the principal organizer in creating the Warner House Association and saving the Warner House from demolition.Edith Greenough Wendell (1859 - 1938) was the principal organizer in creating the Warner House Association and saving the Warner House from demolition.

 Warner House Association

 

The Warner House Association is a volunteer board of governors who are a dedicated group of professionals and experts adhering to the Association's mission statement in an effort to promote, protect and preserve the historic brick structure known as the Warner House.  Within the board, there are several committees (Marketing & Programs, Curatorial, Buildings & Grounds, Finance, Governance) and within those committees are several subcommittees.  These committees are also open to members of the Warner House. Every other month, the Warner House Association meets as a full board. Click to view the current Board of Volunteer Governors.

 

 

 

HISTORY OF THE WARNER HOUSE ASSOCIATION

 

In 1930, the last remaining descendant who had been born in the Warner House died, Thomas Penhallow. Since the 1880s, the extended family had used the Warner House as a summer residence, and the Penhallow heirs, the children of Thomas's deceased brother Charles, decided to sell the Warner House.   Its contents removed and scattered amongst the heirs, the property was listed for $10,000.  A local oil company, Standard Oil, offered to buy the house with the plan to put a gas station on the site.  At the time, this was a practical decision since Daniel Street was Route 1, the main highway from Massachusetts, and  the nearby Route 1 / Memorial Bridge had just opened linking New Hampshire and Maine.  Next door, the impressive Sherburne House had already been torn down and replaced by a gas station.  The Warner House seemed destined for the same fate.

 

One of the heirs brought the gas station's offer to Sumner Appleton, founder of SPNEA, the Society for the Protection of New England Antiquities (now known as Historic New England).  Unable to take on the monumental task of rescuing the house himself, Appleton suggested Edith Greenough Wendell (1859 - 1938) [pictured right], wife of Harvard professor Barrett Wendell. The Wendells lived both in Boston and Portsmouth, the ancestral home of the Wendell family.

 

In 1931, Edith Wendell and her friends formed the Warner House Association to raise the funds amongst her well-connected circle of friends and historians and to set up the Warner House as a house museum. Within the year, the money had been raised, and in the spring of 1932, the Warner House Association purchased the Warner House. That summer, the unfurnished museum first opened to the general public.  At the time, Appleton wrote to a friend that Edith's ability to raise the money during the worst of the Great Depression was "one of the most remarkable instances of preservation work in America."

 

During the early Association days, the goal was to create a historic museum based upon the lives of first owner Archibald Macpheadris and his son-in-law Jonathan Warner with a cut off date of interpretation of 1762.  While the house was saved, restoration errors were made as was so often the case in the Colonial Revival period of museum interpretation.  

 

Today, the Warner House Association interprets the Warner House from a time of Macpheadris's first occupancy to that of the early Warner House Association (1716-1930s), furnished with many original family pieces documented by estate inventories and early photographs. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2015 Warner House Association Board of Volunteer Governors

 

Executive Committee
Governors, continued Honorary Governors
Sandra Rux, Chair &
Caroline Fesquet Eve Barrett
Co-Chair Collections & Curatorial Philip Kendrick Richard Candee
Carol Seely, Vice-Chair
Anne Nelson Lawrence Kent
Lorn Buxton, Treasurer & Richard Nylander Joyce Volk
Chair, Finance William Owens, Ad hoc
 
Sandy Phelps, Secretary Martha Pinello  
Deborah Richards & Louise Richardson  
Ronan Donohoe, Past Co-Chairs Carolyn Roy, Co-Chair  
  Collections & Curatorial  
Governors Carolyn Seely  
Hollis Brodrick James Smith, Chair  
Jane Clarke Marketing & Programs
 
Bob Cook Clinton Springer  
Russell Cox Kerry Vautrot, Chair  
Mary Crane Buildings & Grounds
 
Barbara Engelbach Tara Vose Raiselis  
David "Lou" Ferland    

 

 

Mission Statement

 
The mission of the Warner House is to preserve and enhance the building as a monument of American domestic architecture for the benefit of the public by interpreting the lives of the family who occupied the house from 1718 to 1930, and to contribute to a greater understanding of the people of Portsmouth and America. 

The mission shall be carried out by the following: 

  • Preserving and maintaining the 1716-18 brick house, a National Historic Landmark, with its original architecture, paneling, murals and collections according to guidelines established by the Secretary of the Interior.

  • Interpreting accurately a continuum of more than 200 years of family occupancy based on documentary and archaeological evidence, using original and period furnishings to tell the story.

  • Presenting to a diverse audience guided tours, programs, exhibitions and publications based on our growing archives of scholarly research on the house and its inhabitants. 

Statement last modified: Nov. 2008

 

Subcategories