The Warner House will be open Thursday through Sunday from May 26 until October 16 2022 from 11 AM - 4 PM.

Article Index


A house which is a museum generally seems a little cold...To fully appreciate the house one should know a little about some of the people who make up its story. —Dudley Stoddard, Warner Family Descendent



ome to sea captains, merchants, explorers and even a royal governor, the Warner House is rich with stories of family history. Six generations of extended family occupied the house from 1716 until 1932 when the house became a museum.

The Warner House was built for Archibald Macpheadris (1680? - 1729), a Scots-Irish sea captain and merchant.  After living in Boston for a short time, Archibald was sailing in and out of Portsmouth as early as 1714.  Portsmouth must have provided more financial opportunities and better-suited business connections for Archibald.  Portsmouth also was home to his future bride, Sarah Wentworth (1702 - 1778), daughter of Lt. Gov. John Wentworth.  On return from Cadiz, Spain, in 1715, Macpheadris brought with him a four-month-old female lion, the earliest known lion introduced in the colonies.  While at sea, an agent purchased land on Daniel Street in 1715/6 and work began on the brick mansion now known as the Warner House.  Archibald was a successful ship owner, merchant, land speculator, member of the King's Council and principal investor in the first iron works in NH, the Lamprey Iron Works.  The Macpheadris family had three children:  Sarah, Mary and Gilbert.  Tragically, Sarah died in infancy.  Macpheadris died in Portsmouth in 1729. 


Next:  Sarah Wentworth